Get Githeri Recipe. Learn how to cook Githeri. Githeri can be a quite a tasty dish if well prepared and with proper ingredients.
What is Githeri
Githeri is basically a mixture of maize and beans boiled together to make a meal. The maize could be soft or hard. This depends on your preference. Most people prefer soft maize. The choice of beans will determine the taste of githeri you get. Many communities in especially in Kenya have their different methods of cooking githeri.
How to Prepare Githeri
Let’s have a look at how to make githeri using a simple githeri recipe. Below is a simple recipe which will hopefully make you enjoy your githeri more.
Recipe serves: 4 – 6 persons
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Githeri Recipe Ingredients
- 3 cups of boiled beans (boiled until tender)
- 2 cups of boiled young maize (boiled until tender)
- 3 Table spoon cooking oil
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) Royco Mchuzi Mix (beef variant)
- 1 Table spoon curry powder
- 2 Tbsp. grated orange rind (optional)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 potatoes, boiled, peeled and cubed
- Salt to taste
Instructions on How to Cook Githeri
- Take a medium size cooking pot and Add the cooking oil to heat
- Add the chopped onions and fry until transluscent (but not brown).
- Add the garlic paste (optional) and the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook on low heat until the tomatoes are mushy, stirring regularly and breaking up the tomato pieces with your spoon as you stir.
- If the mixture starts to stick at the bottom of the cooking pot, add some of the water leftover from cooking the beans, a little bit at a time.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked add the curry powder and Royco Mchuzi Mix or followed by all the powdered spices.
- Add the potatoes and stir, allow to cook for 2 minutes
- Add the mixture of beans and maize, Stir to give everything a mix.
- Sprinkle some salt to taste.
- Allow the githeri to gently simmer on low heat, giving an occasional stir until the mixture thickens and the flavours are well combined. Taste and adjust salt and spice.
- Allow it to simmer for another 5 minutes
- Mix and serve while hot