Learn how to make Kachumbari. Kachumbari is a swahili word for fresh Tomatoes and Onion Salad. It is common in Kenya and other east Africa.
To prepare Kachumbari is very easy and quick. It is usually served alongside main meals or snacks
How to Prepare Kachumbari
Make your own Kachumbari recipe Kenya using the steps below
Kachumbari recipe: serves 3
- 3 – 5 Tomatoes
- 2 small red Onions or 1 Medium red onion
- Juice of one small lime
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Fresh garden coriander
- 2 chilies (Optional)
- Slice of avocado for garnishing (Optional)
1. Peel and Slice the onion into thin rings.
2. Place the Sliced onion in a small bowl and add some water. Take 2 teaspoons salt and stir lightly. Leave it to settle of 3-5 minutes. This will remove the strong flavor
3. Slice the 3-5 tomatoes into small pieces
4. Chop the handful coriander leaves very into small pieces.
5. Chop the chilies into small pieces ( optional)
6. Take the bowl with water and sieve the water
7. Take a bigger bowl and put the sliced tomatoes, coriander, onions, lime juice and chilies
8. Stir gently, to ensure there is even mixture of the ingredients.
9. Season with salt and serve immediately.
NB: Garnish with avocado if available.