How to Prepare Muthokoi : Muthokoi is very popular among the Akamba tribe. It refers to dry maize whose husks have been removed and cooked mixture of peas or beans.
- 1 cup muthokoi – dry maize with husks removed
- 1/2 cups dry pigeon peas
- 1 large onion
- 3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 3 chopped carrots
- Cooking oil
Soak the maize and peas for at least three hours to soften them.
- Boil the muthokoi and peas, adding water continuously until cooked.
- Remove any excess water
- Take another large sauce pan add the crushed garlic, after a delicious aroma the carrots, tomatoes and potatoes.
- Cook until the potatoes are almost done
- Add royco, salt, and a little water and bring to a boil.
- Pour the boiled muthokoi into the saucepan and cook for about ten minutes.