Learn How to cook Matoke. Get this simple Matoke Recipe. Matoke or Plantains is one of the Traditional main dishes in some parts of the East Africa community, Mainly in Kenya and Uganda.
Matoke can either be cooked separately and served with a stew or as one dish including other ingredients such as Vegetables, Potatoes or beef.
Matoke is not only delicious and healthy but it’s also very affordable. If you are searching for a perfect plantain recipe or how to make matoke, look no further. Find Matoke ya Nyama Recipe:
How to cook Matoke
5 to 6 servings
Matoke Recipe Ingredients
- 7-10 Matoke/Plantain – well peeled, coarsely chopped and washed
- 1 hand full of peanuts, crushed to powder like (or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter)
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh dairy milk (optional)
- 2 cups of water to boil
- Salt to taste
How to cook Matoke Matoke / Plantain
- Put Matoke/Plantain in a pan,
- Add water and salt and bring them to boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook them till tender for about 20 minutes.
- Check if cooked by piercing with a fork.
- After done, or cooked, drain them and add milk, butter and crushed peanuts/peanut butter if any.
- Let the mixture boil for 1 minute then smash them lightly.
- Serve with beef stew.